Friday, May 18, 2012

REVIEW: "Silence" by Michelle Sagara

Book Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):
It began in the graveyard. Ever since her boyfriend Nathan died in a tragic accident Emma had been coming to the graveyard at night. During the day she went through the motions at her prep school, in class, with her friends, but that’s all it was. But tonight was different. Tonight Emma and her dog were not alone in the cemetery. There were two others there—Eric, who had just started at her school, and an ancient woman who looked as though she were made of rags. And when they saw Emma there, the old woman reached out to her with a grip as chilling as death….

My Thoughts: 
I received a copy of Silence through a Goodreads giveaway and was really excited to finally sit down and read it. A few hours later, my head hurts. I really want to say that I loved this book but I can't. The characters were so different from what I'm used to and the story line, for once, didn't include a love triangle (heck, there wans't any romance at all.. quite a refreshing change!) 

We have Emma, who you think is your typical teen girl protagonist and to some extent she is.. but she was actually quite wonderful. Michael, the high functioning autistic. Amy "Miss Popular", and Allison the super loyal best friend. I really liked Eric and Chase as well. We are introduced to many other characters later on in the story and I feel like we should know more about them. Even by the end of the book, I still had no idea who they were exactly.

That is what my issue is. The flow of the story just didn't work. Most of the time, I couldn't even figure out who was talking because there was so much dialogue and it wasn't written very well. When I say that my head hurt after finishing it, I'm not kidding. I really enjoyed the storyline and like I said, I liked the characters but the book just fell short for me. I'm a huge Anita Blake fan so of course I enjoy stories involving necromancy, I just wanted this one to be better than it turned out to be.


I'll be honest though, I am going to pick up the next book in the series because I want to see if I can sort some of my confusion out. Plus, unless I absolutely hate the first book.. I ALWAYS finish a series. If you don't mind some slight confusion, I would highly recommend this book. Aside from a few things, I thought it was quite enjoyable and it was a fast read. 


3 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this one sooo bad. And I adore this cover! I almost can't look away. I'm sorry you didn't like it more but I'm glad you thought it was ok :)

    Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Sadly, I am declaring this an award free zone. I do appreciate your comments though so feel free to leave one!