Sunday, March 11, 2012

REVIEW: "The Gates" by Rachael Wade

Book Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):
Getting There is Half the Battle...

Armed with more unsettling knowledge about Gavin Devereaux and her circle of friends, Camille Hart is faced with new adversities and lethal propositions when she returns to the Amaranth exile to carry out Gavin’s risky crusade.

Realizing her journey through the bayou was only the beginning of her struggle to stay with Gavin, she finds that leaving her Louisiana home is the least of her worries. New evils await her on the other side, and as she and her friends press on with their mission, they are confronted with the reality that everything doesn't always go according to plan.

As secrets unfold and alliances are formed and broken, only the strongest will survive and the power of love will be tested when a war between witches, humans, and vampires erupts into an all-out power struggle and all is on the verge of being lost.



My Thoughts:
This is book two in The Resistance Trilogy. As you may know, I absolutely LOVED the first book, Amaranth. Rachael Wade has a way of pulling you into a story and making you feel like you're along for the ride.
 

Wade does not disappoint in the follow-up. We hop back into the story where we left off and it's non-stop from there. Camille and Gavin's romance heats up and gets tested in ways I wouldn't have imagined. I was able to see more of the characters that I fell in love with.

While reading Amaranth, Camille came off a little too much as a victim but we get to see a side of her in The Gates that is a nice change. She doesn't completely change but she is definitely getting stronger and it fits her perfectly. I am highly anticipating the last installment to see how the story ends and I want to to find out who wins this war!


I would recommend picking this book up the second it comes out. Which, by the way, is April 25, 2012. And if you haven't read Amaranth already, what are you waiting for? 


5 out of 5 stars

5 comments:

  1. Hi!
    This sounds like a good book. Good review!
    Im a new follower
    I found you by emily's goodreads group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great read.. make sure you start with Amaranth first! Thanks for following, enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant review, Cassandra. It's good to hear the sequel is just as brilliant as the first. I haven't yet read Amaranth, but I am aware of it, and lots of my Goodreads buddies have had nothing but positive feedback for it. I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, I'm still seeing what works for me when it comes to reviews.. I'm still not 100% happy with the way I write them.. haha.

      You know sometimes you get a great first book in a series.. then the next falls flat.. or the opposite, the first book isn't great but the follow-up is.. I'm glad that they BOTH were outstanding and in my opinion, have gotten better. Let me know what you think after you read them!!! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey Cassandra, thank you again for such a thoughtful review. I'm following your lovely blog now and look forward to checking out your reviews and recommendations! I read just as much as I write, so I love chatting books with my book blogger friends. If I weren't so busy, I'd run a book blog of my own in a heartbeat.

    Thanks again for your support, see you around!

    Rachael
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Sadly, I am declaring this an award free zone. I do appreciate your comments though so feel free to leave one!